This trip will take you on a journey of exploration into naturally beautiful Costa Rica. From white sand beaches to misty cloud forests, towering volcanoes, beautiful rivers that cut through tropical canyons, and hospitable, friendly communities, Costa Rica has it all. Having abolished its military over 50 years ago, this tiny democratic republic has long been known for its pacifism, commitment to environmental protection, and its status as a destination for those seeking safe yet exciting adventure travel set against breathtaking scenery. You will have access to Costa Rica’s best-kept secrets and most exciting destinations!
- Visit Arenal Volcano and soak in luxurious thermal hot springs
- Surf at Manuel Antonio followed by enjoyment of the sunset
- Whitewater rafting on the Rio Pacuare, named by National Geographic as one of the 5 most scenic rivers in the world
- Zipline through the cloud forest in Monteverde
- Volunteer opportunities: community service or sea turtle conservation project
Unique Aspects: Costa Rica is a unique country full of varying experiences in a very small package. Due to its geography, you’ll experience cloud forests and hot tropical jungles all within a few hours’ drive. Look for sloths, monkeys, and many species of birds in Manuel Antonio National Park, then travel to Arenal Volcano to watch its spectacular lava flows. Adventure abounds!
Accommodations: Standard hotels with private bath; option of homestay or remote field station during
Best Time to Go: December to July.
Duration: 8 – 12 days.