As the 21st century unfolds, it is clear that China will take a leading role in shaping the way our world develops. The world’s most populous nation – and dynamic economy – has as its backdrop 5000 years of history and is home to a wide variety of rich cultural traditions, wide geographic diversity, stunning natural beauty, and exotic cuisines. Your journey in China can include visits to the Great Wall of China, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and exotic markets; study of Mandarin, Kung Fu, Chinese cuisine, Tai Chi, and calligraphy; visits to isolated villages and staggering Himalayan peaks on the Tibetan plateau; seminars with business leaders and government officials; biking though rice paddies and traditional farming villages, community service; and more.
- Visit Beijing’s legendary Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City, walk on isolated parts of the Great Wall, attend a seminar with a local NGO created to educate about and protect local Hutongs
- Meet with Nature Conservancy China to learn about environmental issues facing China
- Hike in the shade of the Himalayas on the Tibetan Plateau
- Experience tea ceremonies in traditional tea houses and visits to isolated Buddhist monasteries
- Volunteer and work with orphans in a monastery
Unique Aspects: Your program combines seeing some of China’s most famous sites as well as hidden gems. We will spend time in Beijing, the most important city in China, and travel to small communities in the serine mountains of SW China. This will allow travelers to see two very different realities in China, engage in community outreach, and return home with a broad understanding of Chinese culture.
Duration: 14 days
Best Time to Go: Late summer-fall, but enjoyable year-round
- Locally based projects support, and positively impact, local communities
- Educational seminars
- Locally owned lodging, restaurants and shops, and hiring of local guides where possible
- Economic, environmental, and cultural factors are taken into account when selecting destinations
- Donations to local orphanage
- Cultural/language classes taught by local faculty